The objectives of the Tonga National University are to:
- preserve, extend and disseminate knowledge in the Tonga through teaching, research, scholarship, consultancy or any other means;
- provide academic, technical and vocational training and continuing education that is responsive and appropriate to the needs of the people of Tonga;
- foster and facilitate the study of the Tongan language and culture and all matters pertaining to this, as well as foster research into subjects of relevance or significance to Tonga;
- facilitate the economic and social development of Tonga through educational pathways that foster innovation and sustainable use of resources;
- achieve the vision, mission and goals of the University, as set out in its Annual Corporate Plan…
At all times, the University shall:
- operate in accordance with and be based on Tongan values and principles;
- strive for excellence in teaching and research and the attainment of the highest standards in education;
- promote intellectual independence and autonomy as foundation principles of the University;
- establish an educational system that is accessible, inclusive, relevant and sustainable for Tonga.
The Academic and Vocational Programs of the University shall promote:
- knowledge of the Tongan language and culture through focussed research, teaching and publications;
- respect for the environment through initiatives that strengthen climate resilience and ensure sustainable use of resources;
- dual use of the Tongan and English languages.
The University shall offer academic, technical and vocational programs and qualifications from Certificate to Post-Doctorate level.